
I loved the idea of doing a S'more's cupcake. Chocolate and graham cracker and marshmallow all wrapped up into one neat little package. Yum! Even with this one cupcake, there's so many different ways to do it. For my first attempt, I decided to go with graham cracker cake, marshmallow filling and whipped chocolate ganache.
For the cake I used chockylit's Graham Cracker Cake recipe found here . The cake baked up nicely, but the graham cracker crust at the bottom had issues. It got a little over done in places and it had a hard time sticking to the cake. I ended up taking it off before eating the cupcake. Next time I will probably leave it off.
The filling was just Kraft marshmallow creme. I used a pastry bag to pipe it into the cooled cupcakes, but it was so thick that I had trouble getting very much into the cupcakes. As a result I was left wanting more marshmallow in the finished product. I think next time I will try cutting the top off and scooping marshmallow creme into a hole in the cupcake.
The whipped chocolate ganache was awesome! It was full of rich chocolatey flavor. The perfect complement to the graham cracker cake and marshmallow filling. I had never made ganache before, but I was excited to give it a try. It was super easy and tasted fabulous. The recipe was another one of chockylit's found here. The only changes that I made were to use only bittersweet chocolate (as that was all I had and I wasn't going to the store at 11pm when I decided to make these) and Mexican vanilla (which I use in all of my recipes). I think I might have added a little extra powdered sugar to make up for the bitterness of the chocolate.
All in all, the cupcakes turned out great. There are a few things that need to be tweaked (like the way the frosting looks like dog poo on top of the cupcakes), but I think they were a good first try.
For the cake I used chockylit's Graham Cracker Cake recipe found here . The cake baked up nicely, but the graham cracker crust at the bottom had issues. It got a little over done in places and it had a hard time sticking to the cake. I ended up taking it off before eating the cupcake. Next time I will probably leave it off.
The filling was just Kraft marshmallow creme. I used a pastry bag to pipe it into the cooled cupcakes, but it was so thick that I had trouble getting very much into the cupcakes. As a result I was left wanting more marshmallow in the finished product. I think next time I will try cutting the top off and scooping marshmallow creme into a hole in the cupcake.
The whipped chocolate ganache was awesome! It was full of rich chocolatey flavor. The perfect complement to the graham cracker cake and marshmallow filling. I had never made ganache before, but I was excited to give it a try. It was super easy and tasted fabulous. The recipe was another one of chockylit's found here. The only changes that I made were to use only bittersweet chocolate (as that was all I had and I wasn't going to the store at 11pm when I decided to make these) and Mexican vanilla (which I use in all of my recipes). I think I might have added a little extra powdered sugar to make up for the bitterness of the chocolate.All in all, the cupcakes turned out great. There are a few things that need to be tweaked (like the way the frosting looks like dog poo on top of the cupcakes), but I think they were a good first try.
No comments:
Post a Comment